“Better than the Real Thing” Zucchini Lasagna
Low carb pasta is a thing of the imagination. It doesn’t exist. But who doesn’t crave a good old fashioned ooey gooey lasagna every now and then? This “Better than the Real Thing” no carb, Keto lasagna is so satisfying, you won’t even miss the carbs. Carbs who??
I am so excited to share this Zucchini Lasagna recipe with you. I use roasted zucchini slices instead of lasagna noodles to create the layers. Roasting the zucchini gives it a nice firm texture to stand up to the sauce and cheese mixture.
I concocted this recipe during the holidays when my family was in town. We had just lectured my in-laws regarding the importance of eating right and reducing carb intake in order to lose belly fat. Of course, the holidays are the hardest time to stay on track when it comes to healthy options. I didn’t want them to start off this new lifestyle, thinking it would be hard to sustain. I wanted them to be well fed but fed well! Another challenge was that they are vegetarians. Inventing vegetarian keto recipes can sometimes be challenging. I created this recipe to show them that a healthier choice can be “Better Than the Real Thing.”
We all fell in love with this dish! Even though the main ingredients are substituted with healthier alternatives, it didn’t taste like “diet” food. The end result was a satisfying meal without the guilt. Everything about it was right on spot: the texture, the taste, and the calories.
For the Noodles:
- 6 Zucchini
- Olive Oil Spray
- Salt & Pepper
For the Filling:
- 24 oz Organic Marinara sauce
- 24 oz Organic Alfredo Sauce
- 15 oz Ricotta Cheese
- 2 Packs Frozen Spinach (thawed, drained, and squeezed)
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp Organic Oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 16 oz mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Slice zucchini lengthwise into strips. Spray baking sheet. Arrange slices, spray with olive oil spray, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for 25-30 minutes or until golden.
- Reduce oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a bowl combine marinara sauce and Alfredo sauce and set aside
- In a separate bowl, combine ricotta cheese, parmesan, spinach, salt, and pepper.
- Layer into a medium casserole dish: sauce, zucchini, cheese mixture, mozzarella (repeat)
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 10 more minutes.
- Allow to cool, and enjoy!